Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What I love about Home and Away


Yes, I have to admit it. I am an Home and Away junkie. I watch it, and my kids know to record it if I am running late.

I call it “Home'in'Useless” because, well, no idea why. But I still like Home and Away.

Strange, I know. The plot lines are non existant. There is not one complete family unit in the entire show.

The story lines are a bit stupid. The acting is questionable at times. The characters... well, they aren't real or true. People aren't like that, are they.

I enjoy watching it. It is good entertainment. What it does, it does well.

It has the “X factor” which many TV shows these days try to get. The “X factor” is that huge thing that makes the difference between success and failure.

Some vets have the X factor, and some don't. I don't know whether I have it or not, I am guessing not, since whilst I still have a vet practice I am struggling to pay the bill. I am equally guessing that I don't, in that I call a spade a spade, and not pretend to be something I am not. Whilst that is real, that is not what people want.

Owners want to be told that they are doing a great job. They want to hear that their pet is 100% healthy. That there is nothing wrong. Many owners don't want the truth. They don't want to know about the fleas crawling through the skin, the pus underneath their pet's gums, the mites crawling in their pets ears. They want me to lie about their pet's health to make them feel better.

But what do I love about Home and Away? No animals. It is an animal free zone. There is not a dog in sight. No one has pets. Therefore, no vets. I can immerse myself in a world of no animals, and no complaints about animals for 30 minutes a day. Heaven. 

That is what I like about Home and Away. I can get away to another world with no animals in pain, no animal cruelty, no pets dying, no rescues of kittens behind walls, no people who are making unreasonable demands or requests.

But, at the beginning of the day... a world devoid of animals is not one I could live in all day... I have to be thankful that I am a vet.