Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Feeling sick as a dog..

Where does that line come from?  We know what that saying means in a general sense, as we use it often when we feel pretty sick. But who came up with that line?

I am really sick right now, and that doesn't happen alot for me. Fortunately. Being a vet doesn't allow time for sickness and running a business means you work when you're sick. I am, as they say, sick as a dog.

But the phrase "sick as a dog" really bothered me though, as whilst dogs get sick, they don't show it well. So I googled where the phrase had come from, and got some interesting stuff. No idea if its true, but here goes.  Around 1700 the phrase was first used and it related to the fact that dogs were not always considered as they are now (loved pets).  Similar to the phrase "dogs breakfast", and "gone to the dogs".  It was a way of saying that things are really really bad.  From what I gather, it had nothing to do with dogs actually being sick.

And that does make sense.  When dogs are sick they don't act sick  They often don't complain when they are seriously ill, but if it is something minor, like a torn nail then they limp and lick at it. When they are showing signs of being "off" you need to take it seriously.  This could mean that they are seriously sick.  It doesn't mean you run down to the vet all the time, but it does mean you take notice, make the time to write a few notes in your diary.  Watch for changes, and if things change for the worse, then get your pet examined immediately.  You don't want your pet getting so sick that it hits the point of no return - that is that horrible point in the disease process that no matter what we do, we can't make your pet better. 

Cats are worse still... they sleep alot anyway, so when they start to sleep more, it is hard to notice that part as being different.  One thing to remember, cats are not small dogs, and dogs are not small people! 

Now back to as sick as a dog!  That's me. Just as well as I am sharing my lounge room with two other sick dogs - Leo and Jasper,  but they aren't sick as dogs, one is just sick and one is just recovering from a dog bite. 

Cough cough....sneeze.  woe is me... back to my lemon tea while I feel as sick as a dog.

PS My information on where the phrase came from was from researching google, so I could probably guarantee that the information is inaccurate. Still, googling things is fun.