Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Is love enough?

There are alot of songs out there about love.  In fact, I would take a leap of faith and say that probably 80% of the pop songs are all about love.

"All you need is love"  Really? 

"Love is a Many Splendoured thing" You think?

"Love, Love will keep us together" Not convinced.

Is the love of what you do enough to keep you doing it?  Is the love of your family enough to keep the family together?  Is loving your pet enough when serious welfare decisions need to be made?

People often use love as an excuse to not do the right thing.  They are under the misbelief that all the love in the world is enough.

It's not. 

The love of what you do is  not enough if it doesn't  pay the bills, or put food in your children's mouths.  I once knew a person called Linus.  He was a social worker as was his wife.  They were passionate about the welfare of teenagers and especially those from troubled households.  I didn't know him when he was a social worker.  I knew him as a postie - the guy who rides the motorbike delivering the letters.

Love was not enough to keep him in his field of helping people. Society does not pay these guys well enough. Society pays movie stars, racing car drivers, tv reality stars, footballers well - but how do they improve our society?

Love of the family is often not enough to keep families together when the parents fall out of love.  Many couples fall into the trap of thinking love is all they need, and when they fall out of love with each other, they divorce.

 If you listen to the oldies who reach 50 plus years together, most of them say the secret is not love, but respect, and trust, and just fixing the things that get broke. 

But is loving your pet enough?  ( Sorry, but yes, it is always  about animals for me.)  Too  often, I see people making decisions on their pet's veterinary care based on the love they have for their pet.  And this can cloud the decision making process.

"I can't do that, I love my pet too much"   "I can't think of putting my pet through that again, because I love it too much."   These, and many other excuses are given by pet owners all the time as reasons on why they will or will not do something.

What all of these owners have in common is the "I".  They make it about them (or their wallets).   But it should all be about the pet.  If your pet could talk, would it agree with the decision you make?

Love is not enough... respect and trust is also  what is needed to make the decisions that need to be made in the best interest of the pet. 

I love animals, but I do what I do as a vet for more reasons than just love.

Love is not enough.