Saturday, October 13, 2012

Why a Veterinary Appointment?

"Do I need to make an appointment", asks the customer on the other end of the phone.  A very understandable and legitimate question, which many of us ask any provider of a service at the time of the making the enquiry.

Any business or organisation which deals with people, can either provide a "drop in" service, or an appointment system.  There are pros and cons to both.

At Russell Vale Animal Clinic, we provide a "drop off" service, where you can leave your pet for a day stay with us, go out and about and do what you need to do, and come back, with everything done or examined as per your request.   That is the closest to a "drop in" service we can provide.

Simply, because, we operate on an appointment system, where you do need to make an appointment for the vet (which is me, and I am Dr Liz) time to examine each pet individually. We dedicate at least 30 minutes to each visit (from whoa to go).  This type of examination time is not easy to do with a "drop in system", as if you just dropped in, there could be two pets in front of you, and you end up waiting, well, a long time.  Not fun!

When I go to get my hair cut,   I have the choice of going to a "Cutting Hair Place" where I turn up, they cut my hair, I walk out.   I don't know who I am going to get, or how long I am going to wait, but I could be waiting an hour or only 5 minutes, but you are not long in the chair either.  Now, my hair cut wouldn't get me on the cover of Vogue, but it is cut, and I am happy. It is the type of hair service that suits me, as I am not "hair proud".  


Or, I could choose a ABC Hair Centre, get greeted with staff, and have the experience of a  "Day Spa" setting, with juice or coffee, my choice of hairdresser, lots of time to decide which hair style to take, and leave several hours later, all prettied up ... with the same hair cut style, but a different experience.

It would not be reasonable for me to walk into "Cutting Hair Place" and expect to have the hairdresser of my choice, not have to wait long, have a great hair cut experience.    I just want my hair cut. And if I walked into ABC Hair Centre without an appointment, they will usually say the next one is next week, as they are all full up.

We are a family vet practice, with me at the helm... I  do housecalls, surgeries, as well as consultations for pets.  It is all about being stress free for the pets, and the only way we could do was to make all veterinary visits "by appointment only." A "Doggie Day Spa" experience, if you like, because we can't do each visit properly if the waiting room  has 5 pets all waiting to be seen now.

A Veterinary Appointment means that your pet gets the individual care, attention and time needed, to being able to address the problems that may need to be addressed.    And that is what every pet deserves.

Making an appointment has never been easier, with our online booking system, which means you can make your appointment online, easily.  We also accept appointments via email, and obviously, the age old method of phone.

But then, it all depends on what suits your pet and you.  I like working with and for animals, to make their visits to the vet as happy as we can.