Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My pet is perfectly healthy... nothing wrong with them

My pet is totally healthy.  I totally understand that statement.  I look at my cats .... Pusski, Fitz and Dash (and the cat that has decided to visit now and then, Feral), as well as Pandora, to know that the body language from all of these cats are that they are healthy. Nothing wrong them at all.

How do I write this... as a pet owner, as a vet?

We have Pandora at the vet clinic, and at home, we have Pusski, Fitz and Dash. They are eating, drinking, pooping. As a pet owner, they are all ok. No problems.  As a vet, I know better.

Pandora coughs sometimes after drinking the water from the water fountain a bit too fast. She catches, (and sadly chews on) lizards, so she is at high risk of lungworm.  Her preventative care is that she is on Advocate monthly.  Her last blood work was in March 2011 (which means she is overdue), and her vaccinations against Cat Flu and enteritis are current.  Pandora, is "the boss" which means she makes the worst patient.

Pandora can be followed @theonlypandora on twitter. This is because she has her own email address (without the space)  pandora the boss @ animalclinic. com. au.  ...spaces are to avoid the computer trawling thingos which means she gets the spammy stuff. 

At home, we have Pusski, Fitz and Dash.  They chose not to have twitter, facebook or anything else.  Their life is simple. Eat, sleep, purr, snuggle, sleep. Simple.

Previous blogs show photos of Pusski and Dash.  Fitz, is alot like me.  He hides when the camera is out for photos. The health of all pets are important to me.  All pets deserve a preventative care plan.  What is our preventative care plan for our cats? What is yours for your pets? 

If you don't have a preventative health care plan, then you haven't been to Russell Vale Animal Clinic.

All of our cats do have a preventative health care plan... this is all about their vaccinations, heartworm prevention (yes... cats also need this), intestinal worming, flea control, lice, mites. diet, teeth, and the emergency evacuation plan.

All of our cats are on PAW Dermoscent Essential 6 each 2 weeks. This reduces the amount of fur I get to sleep with. I like to sleep with fur on the pet, rather than up my nose!  But there are some things which are just individual to each putty cat.
For our house cats... let's start with Pusski...  he is the eldest, although I shall not reveal his age. He is overweight, and bossy.  He loves to just sit on you.  He gives you that look, as if " consider yourself blessed to have me press my paws, heavily, into your chest, abdomen and private bits", whilst you are groaning whilst he is pressing his very heavy paws into all of those parts.  How can a cat feel so heavy?  Vet mode... his body condition score is slightly overweight, he is current on all preventative care, but is overdue for his blood work.  He absolutely adores to bite Dirk's feet at 4 in the morning... the few times he bit me, made the sleepy me feel annoyed, and the vet me, feel a bit strange about being loved in that way.

Pusski bites Dirk's feet more often than mine... I shall say no more about that love!.





I will jump to Dash.... what a cute line... jump to dash... ok, self love over.  Dash had a severe calicivirus infection as a kitten.  In English, this means, Dash had a severe cold as a kitten which mean we couldn't re-home her until she was better... now 7 years later, she is still with us. When Dash was two, my eldest daughter Tegan noted that Dash' s breath smelt bad.  Pet's breath should never smell.  That day, Dash went to Russell Vale Animal Clinic (aka  my vet practice).. She had a ":COHAT", which is a Comprehensive Oral Health Assessment and Treatment.  She has Tooth Resorption, which the only treatment is appropriate extraction. So far, it has only been her big back teeth that needed to come out.
 
And then there is Fitz.  Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy.  Of Pride and Prejudice fame... He is the only  noisy cat we have.  He loves to wake me up at 5 in the morning, even though we have a cat flap... why use that when  you can meow and have the door opened for you. After eating what he wants, he goes out through the cat flap, to only want to wake me up to let him in again.  Sound familiar? Most cat owners will know what I am talking about.  He is perfectly healthy too.... so it seems.

Now, I will talk about Feral.  He is not "our cat", in that he belongs to the neighour across the street.  But, he has run up to us when we come home after work, rubs our legs, walks  in and sits on our kitchen floor like he belongs there, and eats our food.   Obviously, likes our cat food.  Feral has a broken tooth (which I will need to speak to the owners about), and a watery eye (which I have been treating myself).   Yes, I admit.... he is so friendly, and sweet, I feel mean telling him that he can't enjoy the freedom that our cats have (so I don't). Which is why he comes back. 

On the surface, all of my pets appear to be healthy.  Let us just see what their vet check shows up!  That is \ overdue, but like any normal human being... life gets in the way.  Now is the time we are getting it done.

So what is your news?