Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Musings of Dr Liz - Random Acts of Kindness

Welcome to  another one of my "musings".

Only a few months into the 2019 year and already alot of interesting things are coming across my Facebook newsfeed, via my email, and via the many forums that I am part of.

There is a common theme that has struck me - it is the amazing kindness of many many members of our community, locally and abroad.

Whilst the movie Pollyanna hasn't aired in a while, it is a movie that I admittedly like to watch when it comes on.

  The reason being is that there is a particular scene which the local priest reads a locket which says "When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will. - Abraham Lincoln."

Kindness can show itself in many ways, but there is a single constant in every act of kindness - it is done with an open generous heart, with no strings, no expectations of anything in return.

This is the type of kindness that our animal friends give to us.


The beautiful gift I received in
the Christmas of 2017

The other kind of kindness they give us is their lack of judgement.

When I first heard that quote from Pollyanna, it rings true.

It is like the quote,  "If you think you can or you think you can't, you will be right" (my paraphrased version of it).

In my industry, it is all too easy to look at the negative, to look at the sadness, the death, the bullies, the abuse... the list is long.  If you look for the bad.... its there.
Beautiful Cushion I received In July 2019 in Memory of Baia.

It never fails to amaze me how many animals seek our companionship, how they are happy just to sit with us, or walk with us.

Why can't we be like that too?

There are so many acts of kindness out there, just open your eyes and look. 








There are some days when I struggle to see the good in people, but when I see unexpected acts of kindness from one person to another, it makes me realise that our animal friends are right after all. We are worth it.

I am Dr Liz, the mad vet of Bellambi.  This isn't a photo of me, but of our clinic cat, Pandora (otherwise known as the boss!).