Sunday, July 28, 2019

Dental Month 2019 = Teethy Troublesy Numbery Onesy (No 1)

Another year rolls on into Dental Month for us in Australia. It is (almost)  August, and August in this neck of the woods means Pet Dental Month.

I find that really strange - our teeth seem to suddenly turn up in August and ask to be considered important, but are ignored every other month of the year?

That doesn't happen on my watch! Every day is pet dental month in my house (aka Russell Vale Animal Clinic). Anyone who knows me knows I take teethies very very seriously.

But the National Pet Dental Month is here, so here we are!

So this month is all about teeth.... so if you are not into teeth, or don't have any of your own, or your pet does not have any teeth, then feel free to avoid August editions of my blog.  We will see you in September!

I shall warn you though, that I won't just write about teeth this month, but will write about whatever else comes into my mind (and knowing my brain, it has the potential to be a bit weird! That's what happens when you haven't blogged for a while - it them becomes a tsunami of posts (and hopefully not the rubbish that a tsunami rushes in).

So lets talk teeth. Lets talk facts.

  • 80% of dogs of 2 years of age or older will have some form of dental disease. 
  • Dogs who are less than 10 kg are more likely to have periodontal disease 
  • Commercial food does not cause dental disease - wild animals from hundreds and thousands of years ago had dental disease, but they did not go grocery shopping for a tin of Chum (or whatever brand is sold in supermarkets now).
  • Bones do not keep teeth healthy. They may be white but not healthy.
  • Every pet deserves a pain free healthy mouth. 
These facts on dental disease have not changed in the thirty years I have been a vet - why? 

What sort of dental issues do I see in GP land? 


I have no doubt that there is disease in the mouths of the pets I see that I am missing just because I can't see it or because of my own ignorance.  Many years ago, I was very unaware of dentigerous cysts, impacted teeth, base narrow canines, caries, resorptive lesions in dogs (I knew about them in cats).

Many years ago, I was blithely unaware of the enamel trauma caused by dogs chewing on bones - after all, bones keep the teeth healthy and white do they not? I was unaware that bones can also fracture teeth, cause pulpal infection and pain.  

How many puppy owners know about "Base Narrow Canines " (Lingually displaced mandibular canines). or about unerupted first lower premolars? 
Puppy with "Base Narrow Canines" - Ouchie.


How many cat owners think about their cat having "Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions" (or whatever the recent terminology is for the same disease). 

I know what the answer is to those questions.  It is "very few". 

Most owners think of dental disease as the brown stuff on teeth.  They think that if their pet had a tooth ache, they would say so (such as rubbing at their mouth, or  not eating well, or dropping their food as they eat). 

Whilst I hate the thought of my pets in pain, how I wish (oh how I wish), that when they were in pain, they showed it. 

You see, our animals hide their pain from us - whether it be dental, muscle or joint. Sometimes their pain is so severe that they can't hide, or sometimes, they are at a point in their lives where they just want to die.

It is usually at this point that the owner may present them to us saying "my pet is in pain". 

If there is going to be one take home message from here - our pets, no matter how much they love us, or how much we love them, hide their pain, and this includes dental pain.

If you are looking at your pet right now, and you think that they are healthy - I give you a challenge - take them to a vet and get that confirmed by them.

You need to take advantage of the free dental checks that are occcuring in vet hospitals all over Australia. These are there for YOU - the pet owner - not for me, the vet, but for YOU, to educate YOU about your pet.

I know you are busy, so just in case August does not suit, remember that every day is Pet Dental Month at Russell Vale Animal Clinic - you can keep this in mind for future reference. We also start our dental checks at the puppy or kitten's first visit, and recommend a 6 month visit from such a young age.  Our goal is to increase the pet owner's awareness of what is going on inside their pet's mouth.
A younger version of me checking the teethies.

In vet hospitals all over Australia, there are specially trained professionals just waiting for your call, able and willing to examine your pet's mouth.

 Once they have done that, they will be able to give you the information you need to keep your pet happy and healthy. 

Numbery Onesy is done... be sure to hang in there for number 2. 

I am Dr Liz, the mad vet of Bellambi. If you are in our neck of the woods, why not drop in? We are opposite the new Bunnings store, so it is definitely worth the trip.

Here is another older version of me, at one of our Open Days. Honestly, other than few grey hairs which haven't made it onto film yet, I still look the same!