Monday, January 28, 2013

Astonishing Secrets: The Beginning

"Keep Mum, hey!  It's a secret!" says Charlie to the
Town Crier (aka blabber mouth)
 

Astonishing Secrets.... The Beginning....


The beginning, begins here!   Obvious, hey!

In February and March of 2013, I am going to write, some simple, powerful, astonishing secrets (and, most of them not so secret), emergency home remedies for your pet, to get you and them comfortable before you can get them to a vet for a check up. 

Whenever you see Charlie and the Town Crier having a yakka (i.e a conversation), then you know they are sharing a few more "astonishing secrets".

You want to know why I won't tell you how to fix your pet? ... I would if I could in this blog, but in almost every unwell pet situation, an expert needs to put their hands on your pet to find out what the best long term treatment is.  And really, the best treatment is based on the right diagnosis, whereas, all I can give you is a few ideas on how to make your pet comfortable on the signs you see or condition you think your pet has. 
check up for dogs and cats at Bellambi vets
Vet work is not child's play!
Frankly, I see it almost daily, where owners spend weeks doing home treatments costing them more money when they go to the vets, than if they went there when the problem began.

You want an example? You think I am just joking?  Three time this past few months, the same scenario....

"My pet has itchy skin. I have used itch wash, asked my cousin who gave me their ointment, I asked the pet shop and they recommended this shampoo, I have been using this ointment from my ex neighbour whose dog's skin looked the same as mine." ....  and, by the time I see the pet, it looks totally different to when it first started, making me work that much harder to find out the problem.  And sorry, people, working harder doesn't work for me, as it costs you more for me to figure out what the primary problem was in the beginning!

Looking after your pet is not child's play... its not easy, because if it were, well, vets wouldn't exist.

So, my "Astonishing Series "  is not intended to keep you out of the vet hospital,
wherever you may be,
but to help your pet at the time when you have noticed that they have a problem,
until you can get them there.

But a word of caution, if you are using my recommended treatments, it is based on the diagnosis you have made.  My advice is to not diagnose your pet, but let a great vet do that for you. I think you will agree, that vets are experts in what ails your pet, if you just let them.

Form a relationship with your vet... it doesn't have to be a
cat-dog fight!
I will let you in on a little secret.... those pet owners who visit their vets regularly, and have formed a relationship with them, have happier, healthier pets.  Spending a little along the way, saves alot in the long run! 


You'll remember I mentioned earlier, that this is the beginning of a series on some therapies for common problems.  And with that is, an end, unless I get some more ideas from you guys!

In this modern day of all of this social thing, there are multitude of ways to get hold of me, and equally, multitude of ways that things get lost.... so you can write a comment, send me an email (you'll find it on my website), post it on facebook, google plus me, whatever.....  just let me know!

I am humbled to know, that I  (speaking for the entire veterinary profession here.... equally, humbled, I am sure) can only continue to be what we are, and do, because you need us to be there for you.

Hope you enjoy my "Astonishing Secrets" series.