Friday, January 18, 2013

Are vets the first and best pet whisperer?


Are vets the first and and best pet whisperer out there? 

Just to clarify, when I am talking about what is colloquially called " pet whisperers", I am talking about a large group of  non-vet people, who self promote themselves as being able to talk to animals, or to be able to solve barking, or escaping or any other problem the pet may have. I am not saying they are next to useless, and a waste of the money you may pour into them... I am just saying that they are not vets.

And when I am talking about vets, I am talking about those who have gone to university, been given the Degree, in whichever country or state, which allows them to practice as Veterinary Surgeons or Physicians, or as I like to think of us.... vets... just vets.

So, can vets be pet whisperers too?  It may be a surprise to many of you, but actually, most of us vets are.  And we are the best at it. 

Why is it so?

Before we spent the 70 plus hours a week doing our course, not including our holidays getting our prac work quota done.  And then working 70 + hours as a vet after we graduated, but being paid for a the average working week.   Even, before we even did our HSC (or the equivalent in whatever area you are in),  we were the pet whisperers.... we spent more time with our pets, or other people's pets than our human family or community. 

Many of us "pet whispered" before we said DaDa!


We connected with animals and we liked animals more than we liked people when we were kids.  We craved the presence of animals, as many animals craved us.

I remember, when I was in fourth class at West Wollongong Public School, getting into trouble for having dog paw prints on my school uniform from some strays at the school gate jumping on me.  I remember the taunts by my peer group.  But I remember more about the animals I met in my childhood, than the people. (sorry to those if you are from my childhood who so happen to be reading this).  

Those who are veterinarians are the original, one and only, pet whisperers. 

What we do is a vocation, not a job.


 All other pet whisperers are wannabes...they know how to self promote, know how to get you to part money for their bits of whatever, but at the end of the day,  they are still wannabe pet whisperers. 

I have seen ads by people saying that they can cure a pet's problem through a phone call.   And after the poor owner has parted with lots of money, the owner still finds themself in the same position as before. And by the time the owner has done this several times, buying into the ad hype of these so called "pet whisperers",  the owner is fed up.


If the pet is lucky, the owner will mention the problem to their vet,  and a solution is reached.

If the pet is unlucky, the owner reaches their peak frustration level, and takes the pet in to be euthenased, as they have "tried everything".  And there is nothing the vet can do or say to change the owners mind.  My heart breaks at this point!

You will recall my original question. Are vets the  best pet whisperer?

 Most vets just get on with their vocation (it is not a job for most of us) of listening to the animals, and helping them as much as we can. 


Which means that, after all that your pet has had to endure, sometimes the kindest thing is to euthenase, but sometimes, most times, we can inch your pet, through whispering, and a lot of good old fashioned hard work, back to normal... a happy pet!

You know what?  If your pet has a problem, any problem, whether it be behavioural, nuisance behaviour, unwell or whatever, ask your vet first.    Let your vet be the first person you speak to about your problem.  Give them the first go, and not make them the last resort.

I am Dr Liz, and I believe in the veterinary profession and in vets...  we are for animals, first and always.

For happy, healthy pets (and all animals).