Sunday, December 14, 2014

December 2014 - Reflections of my veterinary life

This year, as last year, December is a time of reflection of the year past, and planning for the year to come.

Through my bellambivet blog we shared some highs and lows of the year, and we hope we did it with compassion and kindness overall.  I hope we gave good information and advice, and hope that if a question arose about your pet, that you felt comfortable enough to ask me, or your own vet if you are from elsewhere..

This year, on a personal and business level, was tough.  I have had tough years in the past, but this year is in the top three.  Whenever I start thinking not very nice things about people, I remember what my father used to say " what you say reflects more on you than it does on them". 


And it has been a year of thinking of not very nice things about people when we see the graffitti on the building walls and brand new window signage, or those who have decided to  break in or steal from us.  We had been broken into multiple times this year, with several thousands of dollars worth of tools stolen.  I would've preferred to be in the local news for something a bit more upbeat and happy, rather than a frowny face (as pictured below).

And then there are the pet owners who come in with their sick or injured pets who have no intention of paying anything for the treatment they are demanding for their pets. They look you straight in the face and say they'll pay next payday, but they never do.  This has happened so many times this year. I am such a fool for trusting, that it scares me that I will turn into an unrecognisable bitter and cynical vet.

When I hear my father's voice in my head, I feel like an awful person thinking that those who have done damage to my property, or who have stolen from me and my family (through direct or indirect stealing) as horrible people.  That would make me a horrible person by default.  I try to practice kindness and compassion, yet I have moments of weakness of being a horrible person.

When I hear the words of what some pet owners have said to me this year, and how that has made me feel, the view that I must be a horrible person is verified.  How dare I, as an animal lover, one who has trained and studied hard to understand and treat the diseases of our animal friends, ask for money to treat these same pets.

I should do it for the love of it, I am told. It must be all about the money, as you are asking to be paid a fee for your time, knowledge, expertise, and for the use of your veterinary equipment,  I am informed. How do you sleep at night, I am asked. Why can't you be there at every minute of every day just in case.  How unconscionable! !

And this year, the issue of suicide in my profession hit me, and my colleagues square in the face - as the world was shocked in the death of Robin Williams, we were struck by the very public suicides of  Dr Shirley Koshi and Dr Sophia Yin. We knew that there were many others out there who suffer silently until they choose suicide to escape the pain.


This year, I have felt like I was kicked to the ground, and even though I wasn't moving, I was still being kicked by these unrelentless acts of cruelty and overall comments made with disrespect and nastiness. No sooner would I lift my head up to breath, I was being knocked down again by more.  When I told one person that their comment was hurtful, their reply to me was "I know".  

Yes, I understand the pain all to well.
 
"Don't worry, be happy" was a phrase my father used to say in the last few months of his life.  It was the same song we played at his funeral. It is those words that I keep repeating to myself, when I have had to face the things I've faced this year.

I have had to face this as well as the usual stressors of veterinary work.  Those who work in the industry know all too well which factors I am referring to.
 
Whilst it was not the first time I had faced challenges, and had forged myself forward confident in that I was on the right path,  this year, 2014, was the first time I truly wavered.  Perhaps it was time I re-examined my path, and chose a different one? 

What gives me strength to stay is the love and support of my family... Dirk, who is the "rock" on which the vet hospital stands.  He, who puts up with my tears, my frustrations, my anger, my joy and my pats on the back!  My beautiful, smart and talented children who say " its ok mum" when I can't turn up to their school events, their concerts, their sports or their friend's birthday parties, all because I have to look after someone else's family pet.  I know it is what I do, but my children didn't sign up for this life.
We have had a few "oops" moments this year!

What gives me strength is my animalclinic family, those who, like family, can tell us  when we need to pull up our socks, and do better next time.  Our family who understands that our game may falter, but its not because we don't care, but due to reasons beyond our control, and gives us a second chance to fix the problem if we can.  

What gives me strength is this same family whom we have cried tears of joy when their pet's condition improves, or tears of sadness when we have to hold their paw and say farewell.

Russell Vale Animal Clinic can only continue to exist so long as there are pet owners our there who choose us as their family pet care provider.  This fact is not lost on me whatsoever, and we try to honour that with the services we provide, and the care that we take.

I assume nothing, and am grateful for everything.

But this year hasn't all been a year of lows.

This year we have had some amazing highs - such as our award wins and reaching Finalist status in many prestigious awards.  We were Highly Commended in the Illawarra Women in Business Awards for Best Business, as well as the Australian Veterinary Association Practice of Excellence Awards.  We won in the Illawarra and South Coast Business Awards for Outstanding Pet Care, and we were a finalist in the same section in the National Small Business Champion Awards for the second year in a row. 

We featured in the Australian Veterinary Association Vet Conference as a "recognised pet blogger", as well as in the magazine Vet Practice, for our social media expertise. We also were published in several Veterinary business resources, such as Vetanswers and Vetprac. In November, some anonymous kind person, nominated us for Kochie's "Rescue my website", with the winner to be announced on December 21st on Channel 7.  This random act of kindness has not been lost on me.

Our "Thanks to You" Open Day with our Get Wild reptile show was a runaway success (albeit a bit damp), and Santa Paws photos was, again, a fun filled few days. Wayne and Mary from King's Photography, yet again, excelled in their photography, and captured the spirit of many of our animalclinic family.

Some amazing highs and memories, which we hold onto.

It is all "Thanks to you", that we are able to continue on into 2015 and beyond.

Of course, 2014  also the year that Piper joined our family, and what a joy that has been (in amongst her medical and surgical dramas).  She certainly provided some good topics for my blog this year. And let me not forget Cicero, our new rabbit. 
Piper, like all children, look so angelic when they are asleep.

It was also the year that Old George came into our lives, and stayed for six months.  One of life's true gentlemen, as they say. He is one of the many pets that saved me this year.  I shall never forget him. I still cry when I remember the state he was in when we first saw him that Saturday afternoon, and the way he was on his last day, when he took his last breath in the arms of Dirk.

As I reflect on this year, and plan for the next, I have a huge smile on my face, overall happy in the knowledge of all the good things in my life and the good people around me.  Bad things have happened, and bad people do exist, and I acknowledge them and their actions.  I will not pretend otherwise.  But they do not define me or my life. 

Russell Vale Animal Clinic is here to stay, for now, and for that I am happy to sing that to the clouds above.  I know that we will continue to face our challenges, but, as they say they are  "first world problems".

I hear my Dad's voice when he says "Don't worry, be happy", as I try to remain true to what is important in life.  I have my health, my family's health, a roof over my head, and safe food and water.

As I reflect on this year, I have been a vet for 25 years, and Russell Vale Animal Clinic has been open for 16 years. It has certainly been a journey that I had never thought would turn out the way it has.

 

I am Dr Liz, the mad vet from Bellambi.  Thank you for being part of my family, and for being part of the "highs" of 2014.