Monday, April 29, 2013

My cruise pet - the animals on a Cruise Ship!

All of my pet owners who visit Russell Vale Animal Clinic, would have known that Dirk (my vet nurse and life partner), my younger two children (Sean & Paige), and I recently went on holidays in April.

We went on a cruise! Yes, an animal - free,  all - in - one holiday on a boat in the Pacific!
"We're all going on an Autumn Holiday - cruising around for a
week or two" 

Whilst this is being posted now, in late April, and I have been back for a few days,  I actually wrote it all on the boat! So here it goes.

As I am writing this, I am on the Atlantic Deck, near the Shanghai Lounge, in an armchair facing the ocean.  The day I am writing this is the 18th of April 2013.

I love being a vet and doing all of the things I do, which have made a difference in a pet's life... and by default, in the lives of their loving pet owners too.  The thought of being without a pet can be difficult to bear when we have to face the terminal illness, or their death.

But my work isn't all about death, but about the celebration of life - enjoying each day, and being grateful that we have been given the joy of being with animals.

To look into an animal's eyes, and see the life, the spirit within them, to connect with that, to "lay hands" as I call it, to feel their joy, their hurt  ... (well I could go on) is a gift which I wish upon everyone.

But like some have the gift to sing, or play instruments, or build houses, I (like many of my veterinary friends) have the gift of pet whispering.

I am getting off topic - soz!  The love and respect for animals can make me get carried away when I write.

Back to being on a cruise - We chose it as a family holiday as I love the ocean, and I hate to cook and clean.
Just watching and enjoying the beauty of a sunrise.
But there are no pets.  Good, I thought - a real break for my life - a chance to sit back and reflect on life. A chance to reconnect with my family, and just a chance to "just be". 

No matter where I was, animals were all around me.  Truly amazing!

On the deck that I am sitting on right now, is some amazing artwork.  Animals were the inspiration for many of this artist's work.  How I wish I could draw my love for animals like this gifted artist did.

I visited the Pharoah's Lounge last night, as my family and I have on many nights for the shows - the walls were adorned Egyptian style - with Egyptian symbols - many of which were animals.

When I was sitting up on the deck trying to not get sunburnt ( a tomato red Dr Liz, is not a pretty sight), there were conversations around me by loving pet owners, wondering how their pets were back home.

When we visited Mystery Island, an apparently uninhabited island (although with all the mod cons such as village shops and toilets ), my daughter, Paige, spotted a resident cat - a very friendly Tom Cat tabby.

On Lifou island, the dogs wandered through the village stalls, and mingled amongst the tourists.  Friendly, inquisitive, and generally happy and social.  You wouldn't see such things in our "civilised" Australia in tourist shops or markets.

In Noumea, the first stop we made was to the Aquarium, learning about Mangroves, Nautilus, and tropical fish and coral (which is an animal too). We sat there for a while, grateful for their beauty.

Each night of the cruise, we would return to our quaint, windowless cabin (yes, we couldn't afford the room with a view), and we would find a new "pet" - there, made just for us - our own personal pet to go to sleep with each night.

These pets were fashioned out of the humble bath towel (and some face washers), with some cardboard squares for eyes or noses.   I don't know how long they take to create, and I don't know how it all started , but I do know that I, like many other passengers I am sure, await in expectation of what our next "pet" is going to be.


Each night, we would name them, and they would sit patiently, looking at us with their big eyes, listening to what we have to say.

Each night, we would say Good night to our pet, as we would to our own family pet, climb into bed, and have sweet dreams.

For this is what our pets do give us - a sense of purpose, importance, understanding, gratitude, trust, loyalty - and let us not forget - absolute unconditional love - well the list could go on!

Even in the villages, where the dogs and cats roam free, who intermingle amongst the chickens, pigs, children, babies - there is an understanding that village life would not be the same if they did not have animals.

As Noah took the animals into the Ark to protect and save them, so should we unto our hearts!


Thank you Jose and Carnival Spirit for an amazing holiday, and our "cruise pets".