Sunday, September 9, 2012

I could never do your job




The most common comment made to me (and I guess, vets all over) is "I could never do what you do."  And in most times, the context of this is a pet that has passed away, either through its own illness or accident, or at my hand, through humane euthenasia.

Many of them are right... if what I did was just a job, then no one could do it, unless you were a psychopath.

But today is National Pet Memorial Day, where we light a candle for our pets who were so much a part of our lives, and in many ways, guided our temperament.  As a vet, I have to light a few more candles than the average household, as there have been so many pets, although not mine personally, who had touched me and my family in many ways.

Grief, sadness, sorrow often fills the void where our animal's smile, playful glint in the eye, the eagerness to play ball used to sit.  Every day, most individuals remember, but today, we all come together to smile, as we were indeed fortunate to have these animals as  parts of our lives.

Our dog Teddy, passed away in November 2011.  His photo sits next to my desk still.  He is fondly referred to as Mr August, as he was in the 2011 Save An Angel Calender.   He is now the face of my Lost and Found facebook page, and the face you see on the left here too.  That is Teddy.

He fought against a horrible disease called Canine Lymphoma.  He had chemotherapy, and was successfully in remission. And then it came back, and we had to let him go.  He was euthenased at home, and by my own hand.  I still cry when I think about that afternoon, when it was a struggle for him to walk, and the look in his face when he saw his beloved tennis ball - he just didn't care.

Teddy was much more than my family dog.  He was a lifesaver.  He was the blood donor for my vet practice as his blood group meant he was a Universal Donor.  He saved many dog's lives through this, and whilst he didn't exactly volunteer, he didn't complain much either.   And when those dogs come in to visit for their check ups, I look them in the face, and see a bit of Teddy pumping around them.

He is what I would've called "a true gentleman".  We used to have a pet rat, Athena  It was summer, so his cage was on the back verandah (under cover).  I woke up at 3 to hear a whingeing sound, and went out to see what was wrong.  The latch on the rat's cage had become undone, and Athena was sitting in the middle of Teddy's trampoline bed, in lovely blankety comfort, whilst Teddy was lying on his chest, with his head between his paws, on the cold concrete.

His eyes looked so mournful, and so sad, whilst Athena was curled up, very comfortable and safe.

What a gentleman... or "gentle  man". 

Every time a pet dies, a bit of my soul goes with them too.  But it is with love and respect, that I do what I do.... I see it as  a gift given to me, to have a huge soul, to be able to hug all of these pets, and hold their hand into their next world.

Yes it hurts, and yes, I do cry (alot). And yes, sometimes the pain is unbearable, and I don't think I can carry on. 


Today, all of us at Russell Vale Animal Clinic, light a candle to remember all of our pets who have died.  For it is for them, that we are what we are.