Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Today I was a....

Whenever I have days where the expectations of clients gets on top of me, I play a game.

I won't go into client expectations as such, but basically, clients either expect us to know everything and fix everything, or they expect us to know nothing, and come in prepared with their Dr Google diagnosis.

Back to topic - whenever I have days where the clients expectations are just getting me down, I play the game of "Today I was a...."  and the blanks are the different jobs I did during the day.

It was a few weeks ago that the client expectations got me really down, but it really hit me today by a random comment by a client. Like so many other vets, we relieve many moments of our working day, and find it hard to let things go, so things can hit us weeks later.

Today, this particular moment (it was a comment made in passing to me) came up and hit me right between the eyes.  So, I played "the game".

Today I was a
- immunologist - I assessed a pet's immune status, and determined its need for a vaccination.

- Dermatologist - I examined pets with low grade dermatitis of varying causes.

- Reproductive surgeon - I desexed a male dog today - a common enough procedure, but this dog had a retained testicle, so we had to do an intricate approach into the abdomen to try to find it.  A successful outcome.

- An anaesthetist- I had to examine the patient, and assess its drug requirements for the surgical procedure, and induced anaesthesia.

- Venepuncturist - I took a few blood samples today ( called "pull some blood" or a "blood draw")

- Laboratory technician - I set up our in house laboratory equipment, and did  routine "pre-anaesthetic profiles" on my patients.

Pathologist - I had to interpret the various blood results -Some were normal, and some weren't.

Endocrinologist - I have a patient with Addisons disease (like JFK), and he was due for his routine monitoring, and review of his medications.

Oncologist - This same patient with Addisons disease, also has multiple lipomas, which we had to review, and asssess.

Veterinary dentist - I looked in a pet's mouth and assessed it as "yuk" - not scientific, but it needs a good examination under anaesthetic, dental radiographs, and then the clean, and possible extractions. (I'll play that veterinary oral surgeon role another day).

and the day is not over yet..... It's a good game, as when clients make me feel like incompetent, I play this game, and realise that I'm not.   I am alot of things (as above), but incompetent is not in the list.

To all of you pet owners out there out there, go and give your vet a big  hug and let them know that you appreciate them (or even better, take in yummy food).

 In this day of "client expectations", we forget about the simple act of appreciation.


Leo fast asleep with his sheep - he positioned himself this way - not a set up