Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cats Vs Dogs and Dental Checks

At Russell Vale Animal Clinic, we love all animals, but we mostly see, by the nature of what people have as pets in our area, cats and dogs.

A few clients have guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, and snakes.  The ones with snakes know to take these beautiful creatures elsewhere, as whilst I love reptiles, they do require specific veterinary knowledge which I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

So, as an interesting excursion into what constitutes my client base, and as it is AVA Pet Dental Month, I thought I would have a bit of fun (as I like to do).

Hills Nutritional Products are happily sponsoring Pet Dental Month, with blow up teeth (not teeth you blow up, but plastic blow up teeth), and they gave me two white cut out cardboard teeth.

Well, I have named one Cat and one Dog.  Dirk has gone on and written the names of pets that in the past six  months have either had specific pet dental examinations or  an anaesthetic for dental work, and have written their names on these teeth - dog names on the dog tooth, and cat names on the cat tooth.

Cats and Dogs have fought for years over who is the most important and most valued.  I had always thought Cats, but these "teeth" are telling me a different story.

Only 3 cats were brought in specifically for dental check ups and dental work in the past two months, whereas for dogs it was over 10.


Love the view from my vet clinic window?  I love trees and natural stuff.... back to the point - Cats are losing, and I don't get it.

So come on cat lovers of the world, we need more cat names on our "teeth", and more cat bums on our consulting room tables, otherwise they will lose the "Cats Vs Dogs" battle.

National Pet Dental Month runs all throughout August, with  many participating vets all around Australia.
And if you are a country other than Australia, ask your local vet - All vets care about animals, and want to keep them healthy.  I am sure they offer a similar thing at other times of the year.  I know in the US it is February, does anyone else know of other countries?

We can't walk into your place, grab your pet and walk it in... this is up to you, so walk into your house, grab your pet and bring it in!