Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Musings of Dr Liz - Pet Owner? Carer? Pet Parent?

Welcome to another one of my musings, but this is one in which I really do need your help to come up with the most sensible answer.
"And whose family do you
belong to? Are you a
child or a pet or both?"

Recently, I read a blog by a much older, more experienced, and overall, very funny veterinarian where he talked about pet parents, pet guardians, pet owners. And it got me thinking (which is awfully hard to do on a Sunday morning, trust me).

I write alot about loving pet owners.... and for me, the important part is the "loving" part, not the "owner" part.  I will admit that I never thought about whether I should use "pet parent" instead, and what you, as loving owners/parents/carers/guardians of those happy smiling animals around you, actually think of it all. Would it make a difference to the overall gist of what I write, and about the relationship you have with your pet if I used a different phrase?

Should we even be using the word "pet" and choosing something else?

At Russell Vale Animal Clinic,  we usually refer ourselves as Auntie Liz (Dr Liz to you humans),
Uncle Dirk, goofing around with Benji (2008)
and Uncle Dirk (Dirk), as it gives us leeway to spoil our visiting pets as much as we can.  But then, I know some people who are attached to the leads of these animals, look at us as if we are mad (and they are right, we are).  My madness hurts no one, my pets gets lots of treats, and actually start to enjoy a vet visit - as who doesn't enjoy a visit with their Auntie or Uncle, and getting spoilt?

The problem lies in that some people think of these terms in the literal sense - so calling yourself a pet Auntie or Uncle is, well (hopefully) not literally true.  But is there a problem in using this phrase?   I don't think so. Or I should say, I hope not, as I often refer to pet parents as Mum and Dad too during the check ups, and talk about sisters etc.

"Family means everything"

The absolutely single most important thing is the relationship, the friendship, the love and respect between kindred animal spirits - human, animal - it is unique for every single one of us. 


Some, like you and me, feel in our bones our connection with animals. It is such a part of us, that the phrases don't matter, as the relationship is at a significantly deeper level... A spiritual connection of kindred or like minded spirits.

As a loving pet owner, the connection is one of kindred spirits. When one half  is absent, the heart feels incomplete. Your thoughts are where they are, and what they are doing. When one half dies, it is a painful, deeply felt loss.  In my head, when I think of people who feel like this about their furry family members,  I write of them as my "loving pet owners".   And in the consultation room,  I think of them as pet parents (the mums, dads, sisters, cousins, grandparents etc, depending on who is the room at the time).  But the relationship is the same.

How do you think about your relationship with your furry family member?  What phrases do you read about that make you feel squirmy, and what phrases do you read that makes you say "yep, that describes me exactly" when it comes to describing your relationship with your pet?

As I am more in tune with animals than I am with people, I really need your help here, so at least I can get it half right with you.

I am Dr Liz, and I am the vet at Russell Vale Animal Clinic. We absolutely love animals, and we are thankful that they (mostly) love us too.