Saturday, February 2, 2013

Itchy skin - Feline Style Part One!

As summer has rolled in, so have some very frustrating conditions in our pets.... that is the itchy skin, or summer itch or seasonal pruritis or whatever other name we want to give it.


rash on head, itching cats, flea  allergies
The Itchy Scratchy Show
 The pet's feet or tongue are spending more time shredding their own skin to bits than eating food or walking on the ground.   And, at the same time, the owners frustration level is close to reaching new heights, as again, they have to bundle their pets into the car, and on the way to the vets.

Where, everyone knows, money then parts hands.  And this is the next most frustrating part of the excursion.  Things get better, the cat improves, winter rolls around, and when summer comes, it all starts over again.

I am sad to say, I have been forced to euthenase cats because of their skin condition.  And, I know clients have gone elsewhere as I refuse to give the "itch injection" without addressing other issues.  If you are a "itch injection wanted" kind of client, then you will need to go elsewhere.  Simple.


Now here is where I have to admit something big... personal kind of big.  Well, it's not life changing, but the failure to do something which caused harm to one of my cats, with an unexpected result, and, well.... it was humbling ( and a lesson learnt).


scratching flea dermatitis cats
I don't want to know that I have fleas or lice!
The putty cat?  Well it was Dashie!  And it happened a few years ago.  We slacked off flea control over a few months. It was winter after all.  Not too cold, not too hot, and well, we thought what harm could it do.

And then we noticed Dash's coat looking very very .... what is the word.... scaly, matted sections of coat, losing fur in clumps, little sores here and there.   It did have me stumped, as she was 6 years old, and had never had any .... I mean zilch, nada, zippo, nothing.... in  terms of skin problems since we had her as a kitten.

My vet heart sank.... I was thinking all sorts of horrid things.  So what did I do?  I checked her over.  Found no fleas. My other two cats were OK. We had no fleas jumping on us.  So, it was just poor Dashie affected. 

So, I did what needs to be done when you have a skin condition that looks "odd" or out of the ordinary.  I biopsied it. 

And to my shock, suprise, (and a Thank God moment), it was just a severe allergic skin reaction, most likely to fleas and possibly lice.

Well... fleas....lice ... really?  After only missing flea control for 2 months, in the middle of winter?  Three treatments of flea & lice control (quality flea control is required, and that is where, if you find a vet who knows about fleas and lice. can help you), and her skin and coat cleared back to normal.

And as an aside, my other two cat's coats looked better too, although they didn't look too bad to start with. Plus something not skin related,  they urine sprayed alot less too.  I suppose itchy crawling skin, and fleas upsets the cats too!

Lesson learnt?   In EVERY single case of a skin problem in EVERY cat, you need to start with FOUR doses of good quality flea control given EACH TWO weeks (if the registration labels allows it).. 

Okay... this is not a brand placement, I get no money for mentioning this, but my first preference for my cats for flea control is Bayer Advantage for Cats.

Wait for my next blog (part Two) for other options.


I went against the regular label, even though it is safe to do so, as that is what I needed to do to get my little Dashie better.  For Dashie.... this treatment made her coat go back to normal, without any need of "the itch injection." or any other anti=itch tablets.  I just had to be patient!

Now,hopefully, what I have written has helped the cat that doesn't normally get skin problems.  What about those who do?  And the ones that get owners thinking of euthenasia!

My tips for you.... are in the next blog......